It is easy to find a Maryland car accident attorney in your area; however, it may be difficult to find the best car accident attorney for your case. It is important that you choose the right car accident attorney for you in order to maximize your chances of receiving the compensation you deserve for your injuries. Choosing the wrong attorney could mean you leave money on the settlement table. An experienced car accident attorney understands how to value a claim and understands the best strategies to use to protect the client’s best interests.
Where should I begin searching for a Maryland car accident attorney?
The first step is to find out as much as possible about the attorney you are considering hiring to represent you in your claim. This can be done by looking up the attorney online and visiting their website. Referrals are one of the best ways to find a good attorney, especially if you trust the person who is giving the referral. However, many people have never been represented by a lawyer before and therefore cannot give referrals. Luckily, there are other ways to learn about an attorney’s reputation. You want an attorney who handles car accidents; however, if you know an attorney in another area of law, ask that attorney whom he would use if it were his child’s car accident claim. Another good way of checking the reputation of an attorney is to ask staff members; secretaries know everything about what is going on in their office and therefore are good people to ask. Court personnel are also good resources because they know which attorneys show up for hearings and which ones always reschedule.
You should also check with local and state bar associations to verify if the attorney has any pending or past complaints. As always, when searching for any professional, check with the Better Business Bureau and private companies such as Angie’s List and Avvo. A quick Internet search will also be helpful and may give you some valuable information about the prospective attorney.
What questions should I ask when I meet with an attorney?
Remember that this is essentially an interview—you are interviewing a prospective contractor to determine if you feel comfortable with this person and whether or not you can trust him or her. Interview several attorneys and law firms as you are searching for a car accident attorney. Ask questions such as:
- How long have you been practicing law?
- Do you handle other types of cases or do you focus your practice on car accidents?
- How many cases do you handle at one time?
- How do you communicate with clients to keep them informed of the progress in the case?
- How can I reach you (i.e. telephone, email, cell phone, text, etc.)?
- Will I always work with you, or will other junior attorneys and paralegals do most of the work on my case?
- What are the terms of the fee agreement? Do I receive an itemized bill for your services?
Deciding Which Car Accident Attorney to Hire
After you have “interviewed” several attorneys, choose the attorney that:
- You felt most comfortable with during your consultation;
- Seemed to have ample experience handling this type of personal injury case;
- Explained the law and the issues involved in winning your case in a manner you could easily understand; and,
- Exhibited a level of compassion and genuine care for what you have experienced and for the struggle you are going through to recover from your injuries.
Do you need a Maryland car accident attorney?
If you have been injured in a Maryland car accident, do not let the insurance adjuster convince you that you can settle your case without an attorney. This is in the best interest of the insurance company. It is in your best interest to meet with an experienced personal injury attorney who handles car accident claims. Your attorney will protect your legal rights and fight the insurance company to ensure your settlement is fair and just.
Contact the Maryland car accident attorneys of DuBoff & Associates, Chartered to discuss your legal rights today. Our attorneys are available 24/7 because we want to be here when you need us. Call our Silver Spring office at (301) 495-3131 or our Baltimore office at (443) 912-0002.