According to statistics from the U.S. government, more people are arrested on drug charges in a calendar year than for any other type of crime. Even though most of those arrests are on relatively minor drug charges like possession of marijuana, conviction on drug charges in Maryland carries severe penalties. If you or a loved one faces a drug charge in Maryland, the experienced, knowledgeable drug offense attorneys at DuBoff & Associates, Chartered work to protect your rights.
Drug crime penalties in Maryland
Drug crimes in Maryland are generally divided into two categories: distribution and possession. The penalties for each can be extremely severe. They include the following:
- Distribution of a controlled dangerous substance carries a maximum sentence of five years or more.
- Conviction as a drug kingpin yields a sentence of 20 to 40 years.
- Unlawful manufacture or distribution of schedule I or II narcotics brings a sentence of up to 20 years and up to five years for less serious drugs.
- Possessing and compounding or selling different drugs, controlled dangerous substances or medicines can bring a sentence of up to one year in jail.
- Manufacturing, distributing or fraudulently obtaining prescription drugs can lead to two years’ imprisonment.
Drug possession in Maryland
Drug possession cases are among the most contentious that any drug offense lawyer can handle. The factors that affect if you are in possession are varied and sometimes vague. Legally, possession of a drug or a controlled dangerous substance (CDS) means having direct or indirect control over it. Sometimes people are charged with possession in very convoluted ways. The factors a court must consider in a possession case include:
- How close the person charged with the crime was to the substance found
- Who owns or was in possession of the location (a car or apartment, for example) where the substance was found
- Evidence of use
All of these questions can easily be disputed by an experienced attorney, especially if there was more than one person present or with a possessory interest in the location where the drug or substance was found. However, because a possession of drugs charge legally can be applied across multiple parties, these claims are not always enough to defeat such a charge.
Don’t try to face drug charges alone. The experienced attorneys at DuBoff & Associates, Chartered can advise you throughout the entire proceeding.
Maryland drug offense attorneys helping clients battle for their freedoms and rights
At DuBoff & Associates, Chartered, we care for our clients as if they were family. If you retain us to defend you on your drug-related charge in Maryland, you can rest assured we will build the strongest, most strategically viable defense possible given your specific circumstances. Our practice serves all of Maryland and Washington D.C. from our offices located in Silver Spring and Baltimore. Contact us today online or at 301.495.3131 to arrange a consultation about your case.
Home and hospital visits are available to our seriously injured clients who are unable to make it to our office and we offer evening and weekend appointments when necessary. We are pleased to offer free initial consultations in certain cases.